12 October 2007

Stealthy Plans

Weight: 156.8
Mood: Normal
Medications: Estrace/Estridol 2mg, Follistim 75, Menopur 150

How do you hide all those IVF meds from the 12 year old step-daughter, the cleaning lady, friends & family? In plain sight of course. Who looks in my cheese drawer or in the big white box on the dining room table? It's hiding the injection schedule or working around it when you want to go do dinner in the big city that is going to be a challenge. I have a 6:15 injection that I need to make a little bit early and then I have to hide the meds for Saturday or take them with me to the event I am tabling at for NOW. I guess I'll just take the Follistim along with me. It has everything it needs in it's little carrying case. The Menopur is a problem in that it needs to be mixed and has two needles, one syringe and two vials in it's production.

As for hiding IVF, there is the short list of people who know. My sister and her husband know, Dh's sister and her husband know and I told my boss yesterday. I told my coworker that I was going in for bloodwork to "balance my hormones". I didn't want to explain IVF to her, she has a startling lack of basic education. As for the rest of the family...there are some that would be supportive and other's would make clueless and mean comments. The problem is that even the supportive ones may make clueless comments and hurt my feelings. I don't want the judgement, I don't want any sympathy, and I don't need the stress of failure extending from their expectations.

For the last 5 years, dh and I have cultivated the belief within our family that we where childless by choice. My family knows about his vasectomy, his family does not. (His mother would kill him.) If we were not sucessful in vas reversal, then no one knows and everyone thinks things are going just like we planned. Monkey wrentch tossed in the mix by a sucessful vas reversal with antibodies. So close... natural conception might occur anytime before I hit menopause as his antibodies go away, but who wants to be surprise pregnant at 42?

If this works, I expect the most surprised person with be my step-daughter. I hated my mother when she got pregnant when I was 14 with sibling #5. I had three more years of high school with a infant brother that mean-spirited fellow student accused my virginal self of giving birth to. Made it worse when he was found to be partially deaf and I had to take him to pre-primary impaired special ed classes at my school every morning. I hope my step-daughter won't have the same issues that I had with the age difference.

Injection last night went quicker; I'm getting better at pulling fluid out of vials. We are going off to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner and trivia with a friend after tonight's injections. Tomorrow I have to try to fit the injections in between a trip to Grand Rapids and company at my house (three kids, and 6 adults). That's what bedroom locks are for I guess.

No comments: